Saturday, May 25, 2013

Fangirl post: Dr. Jack Newman

Okay, so technically I guess a fangirl is an obsessed fan of an actor or character, not a breastfeeding doctor.  But I have to say that, while not obsessed with Dr. Newman in that particular way, I do love his breastfeeding information. 

It all began with my first baby, Hannah, the baby who introduced me to breastfeeding difficulties in a big way.  I developed a nipple crack, and spent three MONTHS trying to get it treated.  Nobody, but NOBODY knew what to do with me.  I would sweat when I even thought about nursing, it was so painful.  Of course, I couldn't wean, thank God, because Hannah wouldn't take anything that even thought about being a fake nipple -- I managed to get her to take a nipple shield a couple times, but that's as close as we could get to it.  So I spent three months sweating, crying, and trying to figure out how to deal with a cracked nipple.

Then a friend of my sister's pointed me to Dr. Jack Newman's recommendation for All-Purpose Nipple Ointment.  I could not convince my OB or my usual PCP to prescribe it for me -- "You don't need that.  Have you tried tea bags?"  Dude, I have an open wound on my nipple.  We're WAY beyond tea bags here.  I took a recommendation from another friend about a family practitioner in our area who saw me (and commented that it was the worst nipple crack she'd ever seen -- sometimes I really don't want to be the one who inspires superlatives) and heard my history and decided it was worth a try.  (Needless to say, I switched over to her, and she's been our family doctor for nearly 10 years now.)

People.  I am glad that I didn't meet Dr. Newman right then, because I would have embarrassed everyone in the room with my protestations of love and never-ending devotion and lifetime supply of homemade cookies in gratitude for his unwitting help.  In less than a week -- less than a week!!!! -- that crack healed, never to return again.  Although I do still have a scar. 

So, he won my undying devotion at the beginning.  Since then, I've explored a bunch of his materials, and I can't say enough about the great stuff he's got going on.  He posts videos of babies nursing correctly and improperly so that we can look and compare and see the difference.  He says things that make sense, like, "The whole notion of feeding a baby by the clock makes no sense at all." 

Recently, I read again his recommendations on blocked ducts in a book of his that I have.  He said that some people recommended evening primrose oil for recurrent plugged ducts.  He mentioned that he has only anecdotal evidence that it worked with some people, and he doesn't know why it works.  But he took the time and energy to mention it despite that.  I love that, because we all know that every body is different, and why not mention it so people can try it? 

So...if you're looking for breastfeeding information, try Dr. Jack Newman's books or website.  I heart Dr. Jack Newman.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment